Friday, July 07, 2006

Video Games

As most of my readers (assuming, of course, that I have any) know, I have spent much of my life playing video games. I really was, at one time, addicted to them. However, in the past few months, I have simply had too much to do to spend very much of my time gaming. I've gone to a couple of LAN parties, and played a little here and there, but nothing like any previous summer. They say that "absence makes the heart grow fonder," but this has definitely not been the case with me and video games.

I've gone back and looked at some of the games I have not yet beaten, and watched my siblings play games (ironically, almost all them I purchased), and I just don't see any reason to play them like I used to. In the past, I justified playing for several reasons. 1) Stress relief, 2) Forces you to think (only worked on a few games), 3) Engaging Story and 4) Entertaining.

I have found that none of these justifications really holds watter when compared with other activities. There are far better ways to relieve stress than causing the destruction or conquest of a digital world. There are definitely better ways to force yourself to think. As for engaging stories and entertainment value, some of the lamest books I've read, and even most movies, had better stories than the majority of video games I've played, especially those made in the past couple of years. The only reasons I can come up with to still game at all is as a social activity (LAN party) or as a short distraction (like playing Mine Sweeper or Solitaire [or maybe something more interesting] for a few minutes). Neither of these justifies hours of gaming every day.

Basically, I've finally realised that what my parents have been telling me for years really is true. There really are better things to do with your time than sit in front of a TV or computer screen and play games. I know many of you still game too much, so my message to you is: Go get some fresh air, make sure you see the sun at least once a day, and pick up a better hobby, like sword fighting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Noble Nerd. You do have readers! Congrats! :)

I agree with your whole post.

So, you have readers that like what you say!

And those are really short and sweet(?), all of which to say, I like your site!