Monday, October 02, 2006

The Fowlstien Letters, Letter 1

When looking through an old attic, for I am wont to do those sorts of things on occasion, I came across a box of letters. This is not unusual, and often leads to exciting insight into the lives of those who wrote them. However, when I began to read these letters, I discovered the most extraordinary story. They were written by an archaeologist by the name of Dr. Fowlstien. He was a brilliant man, and made quite a stir in the archeology circles in his younger days. These letters told the tale of his later years, a time I had thought he spent in obscurity, living off of past glories. I could not have been more wrong. These letters tell of his final, and greatest discovery, and of his quest to gain the ear of unbelieving investors, and an even more unbelieving public. It is a tragedy that his story has not been told before, and so, I humbly take on the task of doing so. It will not be through my words, however, that you learn his story, but through his own. As you read the correspondence that Dr. Fowlstien sent to those from whom he hoped to gain financial support, you will learn is his story far better than I could ever tell it. I have changed many of the names to protect the innocent.

No comments: